If you want strong, sexy abs, you don’t have to spend all day on them. Just ask Australian fitness trainer Kayla Itsines, who is known for her Bikini Body Workout Guides, cult following on Instagram, and rock-solid core. To make your torso look like a washboard, Kayla recommends the seven-minute workout below.
The Instagram star’s seven-move circuit can help you sculpt a core you’ll want to put on display. So set your phone timer for seven minutes, and complete the following moves in the order listed. Then repeat the circuit as many times as you can with flawless form before the time runs out.
1. Do 15 bent-leg jackknifes:
- Grab a set of 5- to 10-pound dumbbells and lie on your back with the weights held together overhead and your legs outstretched, feet together.
- From this position, engage your core and keep your lower back pressed against the mat as you simultaneously bring your knees in to your chest and raise the weights up overhead reaching toward your ankles.
- Release your arm and legs to starting position with control to complete one rep.
2. Do 15 straight-leg raises with a hips lift:
- Lie on your back with your legs outstretched and feet together.
- Bring your arms along your sides and press your palms into the floor.
- Keeping your legs as straight as possible, engage your core as you lift your feet straight up over your hips.
- Next, raise your hips up off the ground to stretch your toes toward the ceiling.
- With control, drop one vertebrae at a time until your hips are back on the floor.
- Keep your core tight as you lower your legs back to starting position to complete one rep.
3. Do 15 ab bikes:
- Lie on your back with both knees bent at a 90-degree angle and feet raised.
- Bring your hands behind your head, and open your elbows to the sides.
- From this position, engage your core as you lift your head and shoulders up off the floor.
- Bring your left knee in and extend your right leg as you twist from the waist to bring your right elbow to your left knee.
- Bring your upper body back to center.
- Then reverse legs and bring your right knee in as you extend your left leg and twist from the waist to touch your left elbow to right knee.
- That’s one rep.
4. Do 15 cross mountain climbers:
- Get into a hands plank position with your shoulders over your wrists and your body in a straight line between your head and your heels.
- Engage your core as you bend the left knee and bring it in toward the outside of your right elbow.
- Return to starting position and repeat on the opposite side, this time bending the right knee and bringing it to the outside of your left elbow.
- That’s one rep.
5. Do 15 snap jumps:
- Get into plank position with your feet together.
- From this position, jump both feet forward, landing with bent knees and your toes behind your wrists.
- Without lifting your palms, jump both feet back to starting position.
- That’s one rep.
6. Do 15 sit-ups with reach:
- Lie on your back with your legs outstretched, your hands behind your head, and your elbows open to the sides.
- Engage your core to sit straight up.
- Next, twist to the right and reach your left hand to the outside of your right knee.
- Come back to center and lower back to starting position.
- Sit straight up and and twist to the left, reaching your right hand to the outside of your left knee.
- Come back to center and lower back to the ground to complete one rep.
7. Do 15 tuck jumps:
- Stand with your feet about hips-width apart and your hands interlaced at chest level.
- Bend your knees to sit back into a squat with your thighs parallel to the ground.
- From this position, explode into a jump as you tuck your knees up toward your elbows.
- Land on your toes with your knees bent and stand up to complete one rep.