All physical fitness regimens would have an abdominal workout or two. However, since these workouts usually have a duration of 15 minutes for the abs alone, a lot of individuals voice their reluctance to do crunches and sit-ups for such a long amount of time.
As a rule of thumb, each physical fitness regimen should have abs exercises that need to be done every 2 days to a maximum of 3 times a week.
After each abs routine, you should give your muscles 48 hours recover time to prevent overworking and fatigue in your abdominals. It is also during rest and sleep that new muscles grown, enabling your six pack to bulk up at a faster rate.
Five Minute Abs Routine:
A 5-minute abs routine consists of 5 different workouts with a duration of 1 minute each, without taking breaks in between each workout. If you need to take a break, it should not be more than 5 seconds.
This routine is the ideal workout for people with busy schedules and don’t have the time to perform a standard abs workout. You don’t need exercise balls and specialised gym equipment. All you will need are your body, abs, an exercise mat to lie on, and your best, concentrated effort.
- Start in a plank position, then walk your legs apart until they are a bit wider than your hips.
- Make sure your hips are lifted, and your body forms a straight line from your shoulders to your heels.
- Keeping torso stable, lift your right arm up and slightly out on the diagonal.
- Hold this position for two seconds, then return to elbow plank.
- Repeat with the left arm.
- This completes one rep.
- Do two 12-15 reps on each side.
Related article: A 20 Minute Indoor Cardio Workout For Losing Fat And Shaping Up
- Lie down flat on the floor with your legs straight and your arms at your sides.
- Lower back pressed to the ground.
- In one motion, quickly lift your torso into an upright position as you pull your knees to your chest.
- Pause for 1-2 seconds, then slowly lower your body back to the starting position.
- That’s one rep.
- Do as many as you can within the 20-second mark.
- Lie on your right side, with your left hand behind your head and right hand on the floor.
- Pressing down into your right hand, raise your straight legs off the floor and bring your torso toward your legs.
- Pause for 1-2 seconds, then slowly lower yourself back down with control.
- That’s one rep.
- Do as many as you can within the 10-second mark.
- Then switch sides and repeat on the other side.
Related article: The 30 Day Plank Challenge That Will Tone And Strengthen Your Core
- Being in a plank position with your arms completely straight and directly under your shoulders.
- Your body should form a straight line from your shoulders to your ankles.
- Keeping your abs engaged, pick up your right foot and slowly bring your right knee toward your chest.
- Return to start.
- Repeat with your left side.
- Continue alternating sides for 20 seconds.
Related article: 6 Standing Abs Exercises For A Sexy Six-Pack And Slender Body Sculpt
Side Plank Toe Touch:
- Lie on your right side with your legs straight.
- Prop yourself up with your right forearm so your body forms a diagonal line.
- Tighten your abs and extend right leg in front of hip (keep knee as straight as possible, bending to modify if needed) and touch toes with left hand.
- Do as many as you can without breaking your form within the 10-seconds.
- Switch sides and repeat.
Related article: The 4 Minute Solid Abs Blast Workout For A Tighter Toned Tummy
- Lie flat on your back.
- Extend your arms so they’re against the sides of your body with your palms face down and pressing into the floor.
- Raise your upper body off the floor so your shoulder blades hover.
- Lift your right leg off the floor, and bring your left leg to 90 degrees, gently holding the left shin.
- Keep your upper body lifted as you switch or scissor your legs to complete one rep.
- Continue alternating for 10-20 seconds.